twitter instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest

February 26, 2015

Stopping the Water Works

Have you ever just started randomly crying about someone you love who has passed away? Doesn't have to be someone you knew personally, can be your favorite celebrity etc., and it doesn't even have to be a recent death. You just sort of think about it and start crying/getting really upset and sad about it? 

This just happened to me a while ago. As you may not know, The Golden Girls is my favorite TV show of all time. I've seen every episode at least 10 times and could probably ace any trivia quiz about it. I even notice when they play it on the Lifetime Channel in the mornings which bits they've edited out to make room for more commercials (I'm that far into it). I just watched the episode where Betty White asks the three other ladies "What happens when there's only one of us left?" I started thinking about how she truly is the only one of them left and there came the water works. 

These beloved girls (my girls) helped me through some really tough times, they've always been constant figures in my life--even if only through the TV screen. The mere thought that I won't ever be able to have a group hug with them (you know, until I pass on myself and wind up in Heaven or Elsewhere (which really is a fantastic book you should read it) whatever you believe) makes me so sad.

Some people probably will tell me it's really stupid to cry over people who've been dead for a long while. Others will say it's good I'm letting my emotions show. I think they're both right and so I developed a little list of ways to get yourself to stop crying about something. 

Now keep in mind....crying is a healthy form of expression. It releases sadness, anger, jealousy....a whole mess of feelings we weren't even aware we were feeling! In no way do I think it's a sign of weakness to cry, I think crying is very beneficial and can really help us truly work our pent up emotions out of our bodies. Sometimes you just need to let the tears flow, and that's really really okay. 

When you think you've cried enough and are ready to move on, here are some tips I have to staunch the flow: 

  • (Don't write a blog post about crying over these people because it will make you cry again) 
  • Imagine the person you're crying over appearing in front of you. What would they say to get you to stop crying? What would they say or do to soothe you? Just picture that and you can literally feel yourself calm down and relax....follow their advice.
  • Think of happy times. With the person or even happy times without them. Just happy memories that make you smile and giggle.
  • Listen to your favorite song. For a while you'll probably still cry but if you listen to it long enough the tears will slow. 
  • Cry it out. Just let the tears stop naturally--sometimes that's all you can do. 
  • Talk to somebody. Doesn't have to be a relative or anyone, doesn't even have to be to a specific person. Tweet about your feelings or do what I do: I write a journal entry (well type actually) and just get all my emotions down on virtual paper. Usually I come out of it feeling better, if somewhat deflated, and I've usually learned something about why I'm feeling what I'm feeling or what exactly I'm feeling
Do you have any tips on how to get yourself to stop crying? 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger template