twitter instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest

May 28, 2015

Luminescence 2015

As a Junior in High School, prom is a very big deal. It's one of only two I'll get to attend! Last night was our Junior-Senior Promenade, held at the Bellevue Hotel. The theme? Luminescence.
As almost everyone attending prom will tell you, the dresses are a big deal. Being in Manila afforded me the luxury of being able to have my dress made for me, something usually considered too expensive in the States. I used a runway photo as my inspiration and my gorgeous pink dress was born!
I am so in love with this dress!

I have to give a well-deserved shoutout to the woman behind the creation of this dress and her team: Nelle's Dress Shop in BF Homes ParaƱaque. Nelle worked directly with the original picture I brought in, sketching the ideas for my dress on top of it. We picked a sample together, and had multiple fittings to fix the problems that inevitably pop up in the creation of a beautiful dress. She and her team were wonderful throughout the entire thing and I cannot recommend them enough if you need a dress, pantsuit, or anything made for a special occasion. They even make wedding dresses! (Word of caution: if you want an outfit custom made like this, get it done early! We went over a month before prom and thank goodness we did because I was still doing fittings two days before!)
For my hair and makeup I went to the experts, the only people Mom trusts with her hair: the Toni and Guy Salon! They just recently opened here in Manila at SM Aura and I highly suggest you go to them for all your hair needs. I brought in a picture of what I wanted my hairdo to vaguely resemble and trusted the makeup artist to fix my face based on my dress color. As soon as I arrived they ushered me into a private room and off they went!
From beginning to end: makeup and hair 
A closer look at my hair

After the whole process of hair, makeup, nails, and picture-taking it was time for the actual prom!
The prom committee did an absolutely wonderful job decorating the Bellevue! The centerpieces were tall with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and flickering candles at the base. We had a guest DJ who remixed Taylor Swift and Fall Out Boy, keeping the dance floor absolutely packed all night! There were games like Tie Races and 'How Well Do You Know Your Date'? 

Probably the most-loved part of the night (other than the dessert bar of course) were the photo booths!
Find this photo on my Instagram
In addition to these goofy photos there were roaming photographers and professional photo set-ups for people and their dates or with their friends.
Myself, Tina, and Celesty
Ekta, Nikki (with a mouthful of brownie), and Moi
Celesty, Me, Sam, Nami (all in heels except me)
Vegetarians were served a special meal, most of which was edible (sorry but that lasagna was just nasty) and we supplemented the rest of our meal with frequent visits to the dessert bar. 
(You can find this on Instagram too!)

The hazelnut pudding in the shot glass was a favorite all-around (definitely my favorite), the brownie was Nikki's favorite, the red velvet cupcake Celesty's, and the cookies (shaped as dresses and bowties) were so pretty we used them more for plate decoration than for actual sustenance.

I think what I loved most about prom was the sense of camaraderie surrounding all of us in the ballroom. I'm the first to say that our class of Juniors is one of the closest batches I've ever seen (I mean there's only 96 of us) but we definitely have our own friend groups. Last night all social barriers were gone as we all complimented each other on our style, hugged, high-fived, and laughed together. The teachers that were there offered hugs to their students and even did the photo booth with us! Also: they didn't feel too chaperone-y, they sat at their own teacher table and seemed to enjoy themselves about as much as we did. 
Prom was an absolute blast and even though I chose not to attend the after-party, I still slept until noon the next day!

Now I can't wait until next year's prom! (Really though I hope it doesn't come too fast, I'm a senior aahhh!)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger template