twitter instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest

January 15, 2016

Ginger Cookies


One of my favorite bloggers is Rosie, aka fabulous Brit blogger behind The Londoner, and she shared this recipe for Ginger Pillow Cookies several months ago and I decided an uneventful Friday night was the perfect opportunity to try them out! (My recipe deviates a bit from hers)

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup brown sugar
Extra granulated sugar to dust
Preheat your oven to 180C or 350F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. (Rosie sifted the ingredients together, which works just as well if you prefer that)

Now, I could not find ground ginger for the life of me so I grabbed the fresh ginger I had in my fridge and grated actual bits into the dry ingredients bowl. This works just fine if you don't have ground ginger however the end result is probably not as ginger-y as it would be with ground ginger.

Next, in a large bowl (or a stand mixer if you have one) cream together the butter and granulated sugar. I don't have a stand mixer so I cut up the butter, which you should let soften for a bit at room temperature first, and dropped it into the bowl of sugar in chunks. You then proceed to mash it with the knife and whisk until the end result is light, fluffy, and exactly how butter + sugar should look like.
Crack the egg into the butter and sugar mixture and then add your water and brown sugar. Mix all the ingredients together before adding the dry ingredients. Your batter will end up slightly crumbly looking but will pinch together in your hand.

Sprinkle a small handful of sugar on a plate. Squish together some batter and roll it into a ball in your hands. Roll that in the sugar and place on the baking tray. I could only fit 6 on my tray, as I'm baking in a toaster oven, but you can fit as many as you like as long as they have room to expand in the oven.
Bake for about 12 minutes. When you take them out of the oven, they'll be wobbly and seem uncooked, that's normal. Leave them on the hot tray for a bit to finish cooking before placing them on the cooling rack. Make sure to eat at least one right out of the oven! They'll be squishy and pull apart instead of crumbling.

Repeat for however many batches you want--and have a glass of milk at the ready! If you try them, let me know how they turn out!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger template