SOCIAL MEDIA

July 30, 2013

The "Look"

The title of this post may have you wondering what "look" I'm talking about. I'm talking about the "look" I get when I tell people that I'm a vegetarian. Well....most people anyway. Let me explain.

The first thing people do is look at me out of the corner of their eyes or open their eyes wider and send their eyebrows shooting up into their forehead. The second thing is ask "Why?" or say something unoriginal like "Oh really?". But it's the "look" that bothers me. The "look" I'm talking about is the look these people have on their faces when I start to explain why I am a vegetarian. Some people roll their eyes, others stare at me like I just told them I have herpes.

If you ever come up to me on the streets and ask me why I'm a vegetarian, my answer will always be the same. (Actually if I have never seen you before and you randomly come up to me and ask why I'm a vegetarian I probably will run away in fright and call the cops. But you get my point.) A lot of people assume that I became a vegetarian for the dietary reasons (i.e. to be skinnier), or because I'm going through a "phase" like "all the teenage girls" trying to find themselves, or even because it's a fad that my favorite celebrities are doing.

All of these assumptions are wrong and it's actually a giant pet peeve of mine when people assume things. (I am fond of saying if you assume you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".) The real reason I am a vegetarian is because something clicked in my head one day: do you know how cruel it is to eat all of these animals when they have done nothing to you? If you think about it . . . it's so mean! I see trucks with pigs that have been branded on the road all the time and I actually cry every time I see it. Those poor animals are treated so badly throughout all their lives and I refuse to eat animals that have been tortured all their lives.

I started off by being a pescetarian, someone who is a vegetarian but still eats seafood and fish. I then thought about it and it's cruel to eat fish when they have hooks stuck through their faces in order for me to eat. So I cut it down to being a semi-pescetarian and only eating fish a maximum of 3 times a week. I have been modifying it ever since. I am now cutting down on eating eggs in processed foods, however I cannot cut out eggs altogether because they are a major source of protein for me and my mother is worried about me not getting the nutrition I need. (Not being an adult, I must listen to my Mommy. :D Actually I'll probably still listen to her as an adult as well...) I no longer eat Pop-tarts, marshmallows, or Jello because they all contain gelatin in them which are made from animal parts. 

Being a vegetarian is hard and it requires a lot of research to make sure you're being true to your principals and morals. People think I'm just trying to lose weight or be trendy. I'm trying to make a difference and my small contribution may not save a lot of animals....but it will save a few I hope. And if I inspire a few more people to truly be vegetarians, then that's all the better. But please don't rush into this decision. Talk it over, do some research and make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. If you need any guidance drop a comment on this post and I'll see if I can answer your questions.

XOXO

Post a Comment