SOCIAL MEDIA

November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Considering today is National-Turkey-Slaughter Day, I thought I'd do some research and find out exactly how this whole tradition started and what exactly we can all be thankful for.

The 'first Thanksgiving' that we Americans recognize happened right after the pilgrims harvested their first crops in the 'New World' and was a grand 3-day feast between the Indians and Pilgrims. However, Thanksgiving Day did not become a federal holiday until President Abraham Lincoln declared it a day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens."

Exciting stuff huh? Yeah, I didn't think so either. Thanksgiving today is less about the pilgrims and more about an excuse to gather the family together and enjoy stuffing and pie (somewhere Dean Winchester's ears are ringing). I know that some of my favorite memories from childhood are my multiple Thanksgivings (I say multiple because I have 2 each year, 1 with Mom and 1 with Dad on alternate days and schedules) with my family. From collecting the fall foliage outside (more like jumping into great big pile of leaves in my grouchy neighbor's yard and running with my Aunt who is an adult might I add) to 'helping' to cook inside (aka stay out of the way except for tasting runs), Thanksgiving has always been part of my favorite time of year.

This year I am thankful for the wonderful life I have been blessed with, my very best friend Ammie, my wonderful and kooky family, my kick-ass friends, and the fact that I am who I am and I actually like who I'm becoming (excuse the major corn factor here, you are what you eat and I've been stuffing myself with cornbread). What are you thankful for this year? Make a list and share it with those around you, I promise they'll love it.

Gobble Gobble

Post a Comment