SOCIAL MEDIA

September 28, 2014

Twentieth Anniversary

Everyone has heard of Friends, and I'm positive everyone has seen at least one episode so the 20th anniversary of the first ever episode was a pretty big deal. Here in Manila, a celebration was planned at the new SM mall in Parañaque, a mall not even finished opening yet. My friend Nikki, one half of the famous Hilker Twins, was invited to sing along with other students of her performing school at a tribute concert for the anniversary celebration. 

A mock Central Perk was set up and everything! (couch included!)
Kim and I had made plans to sleepover that night so I brought her with me to watch Nikki perform at the mall along with two twin friends of hers and her Dad who joined us later to watch her performance. 

La Chanteuse du Jour



Kim's latest hair adventure was as well received as the McDonalds we all snacked on whilst sitting on the floor waiting for the show to start. 


Nikki was a little enthusiastic about her burger....


....about as enthusiastic as we were about the 90s music playing

The (other) twins feat. my forehead

The show began on time with a choreographed dance to the Friends' theme song which was really hilarious because nobody except the choreographers leading the dance knew what the actual dance was so the kids on stage just made it up as they went along. 




Nikki, being the eldest, stood in the back and made faces at us from the stage, a very well-recieved diversion. She sang two songs, all the songs were about friendship because bien sûr twas the Friends' anniversary show. 





The lighting wasn't ideal to take pictures with but good enough. In between her first and second song (the duet of which was "Stikwitu" by the Pussycat Dolls which made me sublimely happy), we had a lot of downtime to listen to the other kids singing and just goof around in general. 






Of course I recruited Nikki and Kim to help me take photos of myself to go here on my blog and the majority of those turned out really nicely. 






As well as my Instapic of the day:

You can view this photo on Instagram

Naturally, there were outtakes as well...








All-in-all it was a wonderful afternoon well spent with old friends and new friends alike. And, if you think about it, that was really the point--celebrating Friends' twentieth anniversary--a show about (what else) friends.

So...thank you Friends, you taught me what real friends look like and helped me find some really wonderful ones.


Post a Comment