SOCIAL MEDIA

December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Just wanted to pop in a quick post at the end of Christmas Day.

I'm here to say that I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas and even if you don't celebrate the holiday I hope you have a good day anyway! I hope you enjoy time with family and friends and enjoy the love that should be in the air around this time of year, regardless of your personal beliefs or religion (because that's really what this season is all about: love). 
Lilah and her "My 1st Christmas" hat--find this photo on Instagram

That said, I wanted to share a few of my favorite Christmas traditions with you: 

  • Family dinners: casseroles on Christmas Eve and turkey/fish on Christmas Day
  • Opening presents in order Christmas morning: eldest opens first down to the youngest 
  • Family breakfast after opening presents on Christmas morning (pancakes and waffles and fresh fruit and eggs....oh my)
  • Opening stockings first before anything else on Christmas morning 
  • Gathering together for more than just a day, nearly a whole week actually, and spending time together: going out to dinner, cooking in, watching movies etc. 
  • The "Secret Santa" system; the family "adults" draw names out of a digital hat (that I am in charge of) and they only buy presents for that person
  • .....and then ignoring the Secret Santa system by purchasing/making at least one present for someone who isn't your Secret Santa
  • **Spending all of Christmas Day (practically) in a car
I feel like the last one needs some explanation. Having divorced parents means my time is split down the middle during the holiday season. Typically, and especially since we've moved to Manila, I'll spend my time with Dad and family until Christmas at noon when the switch-off occurs. Then I hop over to Mom's side and we have Christmas #2, usually on the 26th of December instead of the 25th. Because Mom & co. have our Christmas at the OBX with my grandparents, this usually means a substantial amount of time spent in the car shuttling between one parent and the other on Christmas Day. 
#holidayselfie--find this photo on Instagram

Now, having divorced parents is something that will pretty much guarantee you pity from others, regardless of your personal feelings towards the split couple. Personally, I've never seen my parents together and, frankly, I think they work better apart so their divorce hasn't affected me in the pent-up teenage-angst ways you see on television. I do, however, have to admit that it is tradition for me to be in one of the only cars traveling the roads on Christmas Day from one parent to the other but this tradition is one that means I have 2 entire Christmases just full of people who love me and that makes the long days' journey more than worthwhile. (Even when squished in a car with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 over-sized, smelly dogs aka what happened today) 
Find this photo on Instagram

I guess that's really the point of this post: if your Christmas isn't living up to your expectations, whether it's because your parents are divorced/divorcing, you have family problems, you can't be with the people you love on Christmas etc. try and look at the good side of things rather than the bad. It's simple, and rather cliche, advice but it's true: this is the season of love and forgiveness, try and find the silver lining in every cloud and remember to look at every situation from the other person's perspective. It just might save you an argument. 

(Also: Christmas comedies/romcoms are highly recommended for anyone, not just those having a mediocre holiday) 

Joyeux Noel, Buon Natale, Maligayang Pasko, Feliz Navidad

and Merry Christmas

xx

Post a Comment