SOCIAL MEDIA

November 30, 2014

Surviving the Sunday Night Blues

I had to look back through all my previous posts to make sure I haven't already posted something along these lines yet....and I'm surprised that I haven't because I struggle with the Sunday Night Blues so often myself.
I think collectively Sunday is so depressing because simply it's the final night of the weekend and we can literally feel the precious hours slipping away, just as our freedom is, before Monday morning rolls around. No matter how much you love your Monday plans, Sunday can be a pretty depressing night. I've developed a few tips on how to beat the Sunday Blues that I thought I would share.

  • Get things done early! Trust me I understand how lovely it is to sleep in but when you have an Aggi whining and growling and licking at your face to get you up and out plus the sound of early-morning construction right out your window, sleeping in too late isn't really an option. I'm not saying leap out of bed at 6:30 ready to start your day, I'm saying don't set an alarm but do get out of bed some time before noon otherwise you'll feel your day is wasted. (Oh and if you have a dog and they're trying to get you up, if you don't open your eyes sometimes they'll go back to sleep themselves! #lifewithdoggies) 

View this photo on Instagram

  • Get out! We all have days where we don't get out of our pajamas and watch endless reruns on TV eating chocolate chips right from the bag. If you want to avoid a bad case of the Sunday Night Blues, don't plan on this schedule for a Sunday. I suggest getting out for a walk in the morning, with a certain furry friend maybe?, walking to your local Starbucks for coffee, walking to 7-11 for a donut, anything to get you out! Today, for example, I walked Aggi and when I came back Mom and I went to the mall. This sort of leads into my next point....
  • Don't stay out too long! Believe me, Mom and I both know everyone has a laundry list of chores to get done but if you save them all for Sunday and decide to stop for lunch and drag your feet choosing which lettuce for your salad that night at the supermarket you won't get home until 3:30 or 4 and you'll feel like you have no time to relax and get everything you need to get done, done.


  • Get your work done before 5 PM! At that time it's beginning to look a lot like night and if you work after that or worse, start your work after 5 you'll definitely feel overwhelmed and like your whole weekend went by waaay too fast and the Sunday Blues will hit you like a truck. 
  • Don't let your diet go to hell! By this I don't mean 'diet' in terms of 'trying to lose weight on purpose so I can fit into my ____' I mean diet as in what you eat during the week. If you're a salads and fro-yo girl, don't pig out on pizza and McDonalds and Dairy Queen and 3 Starbucks' in one weekend! I'm not saying don't treat yourself, have pizza every Friday if you want (I do) and drink a Starbucks in the morning but don't go overboard. Especially on Sunday you want to slip back into your routine so Monday doesn't seem so harsh--eat a nice baked potato and salad for instance if that's your diet. If your diet is McDonalds and pizza normally well then....you go for it and RIP to your bowels(might I suggest prunes?) 
  • Take time to yourself on Sunday evening! Take your furry friends for another walk as the sun sets, take a dip in the pool, try a new hairstyle, call a friend, read a book, take a bath, do all of the above. (Write a blog post!) Just take some time to unwind and calm down.

The Sunday Blues didn't hit me as hard today and I think it's because I, subconsciously, followed these tips. I also laughed a lot, don't be afraid to laugh at yourself, laugh with others, laugh for no reason! (Okay you may want to have a reason to avoid stares....) My Sunday was actually a pretty good day (despite misplacing my homework folder, having to re-type a 3-page paper, and working on my Lit presentation). 

What are your tips for beating the Sunday blues? Let me know below or anywhere really. Stay beautiful butterflies! 

xx

Post a Comment