SOCIAL MEDIA

December 23, 2015

How To Save Your Skin When Traveling


With the holidays quickly approaching I know a lot of people will be traveling to visit their loved ones so this post is all about maintaining your skin and beauty care + routine when traveling. (Especially relevant to long-haul flights but still applicable to shorter flights too)
Preparation is key when traveling, regarding any subject--and this applies to your skin care routine as well. Make sure you have carry-on containers or travel-sized tubes for all of your beauty products. I like to get small plastic jars that can be washed out and reused for lots of different trips.

Any skincare routine has two essential elements: the face wash and the moisturizer. (Very basic stuff, I also include acne cream, face masks, face peels etc.) If you're like me, you have two different face washes--one for acne and deep cleansing and one for a lighter, brighter clean. During and after travel you're going to want to use the lighter, brighter wash.

In your carry on you should have:

  • Jar of moisturizing face lotion. Lots and lots of it. Fill the jar with it. 
  • Jar of hydrating, gentle face wash. You won't need as much of it as the face lotion. 
  • *Hydrating sheet mask
  • Hand/body lotion
  • Makeup removing wipes
I highly recommend the Aveeno Active Naturals Ultra-Calming Moisturizer for your face. I've been using this stuff for years and I absolutely love it. I have sensitive, and often dry, skin and this lotion really hydrates and reduces redness. Five thumbs up honestly.

For the hydrating, calming face wash I suggest Aveeno's Positively Radient Brightening Cleanser. This stuff is incredible for a refreshing clean--I use it to clean off makeup at the end of the day and when I need a gentler clean.

My Tips: 
Have the face lotion nearby throughout the entire duration of the flight. Slather it on regularly, whenever your face starts to feel dry. It will keep your skin hydrated and try to prevent a breakout. I always break out after a flight!

During every layover, wash your face with the lighter cleanser. You can even try it in the middle of the flight although I know I don't really want to splash the airplane bathroom water on my face...

After you reach your destination it is important to continue to only use the light face wash for a few days. Your skin is very sensitive after a flight and will need time to heal itself. You risk making a breakout worse and enflaming your skin if you use a harsh cleanser right after flying. I'd give it at least 2 or 3 days.

A lot of people are applying sheet masks during flight, and this makes sense. Sheet masks (like this Water Replenishing Cotton Sheet Mask from Dr Jart+) are unlike other masks in that you don't have to peel them off and they don't leave you a sticky mess you have to scrub off in the bathroom for a few days. The purpose is to seriously hydrate your skin and it's perfect for a plane environment. However, I would recommend saving the mask for your destination because a) you'll get strange looks from your fellow passengers and flight attendants and b) it's more of a hassle. I would wait until you're out of the airport and into your hotel/home/rented van etc. and apply the mask there. You leave sheet masks on for 30 minutes and simply take it off and throw away when finished. I have yet to try them myself however look forward to and will definitely share when I do!

Using makeup removing towelettes is a great way to keep your skin fresh and hydrated and I never recommend taking a flight longer than 4 hours with makeup on.

On a plane, I try to stay away from all salt because you bloat enough when traveling already and drink strictly water to keep yourself hydrated. Also keep lip balm on hand and swipe your lips at least every hour. A plane's environment is very drying on every part of your body so hydrating them is a necessity. 

What are your tips and tricks to keeping your skin hydrated on planes? Have any other info about sheet masks? Comment below!

xx

PS-so sorry for the prolonged absence but my bounce back from the 36 hours I spent in transit from Manila to DC was rough. Happy Holidays everyone!

Post a Comment