SOCIAL MEDIA

January 19, 2016

How To Be A Morning Person

I'll admit, rolling out of bed as soon as my alarm goes off is sort of my thing....during the week anyway. Not everyone is blessed with the ability to sleep in everyday of the week so if you find yourself more inclined to hit the snooze button than roll out of bed, this is for you.

The first thing you should see when you wake up is something positive. More than likely your day will include not-so-nice things to do at work, school, or home so when you first start your day, make sure you see something positive. And this thing should not be anything with a screen or be plug-in-able. I like to have a small bouquet of fresh flowers in my room, they brighten my morning. You could also give a small cuddle to the pet or significant other that you share your bed with, that's a great way to start your day. Even just glancing out the window at the sun rising is a perfect way to boost your energy levels and your positivity first thing in the morning, even if the last thing you want to do is get out of bed.

No electronics! The first thing you reach for when you wake up should not be your phone (unless it's to turn off an alarm and then put. down.) Give yourself time to wake up, get your body used to light, drink a glass of water, pee, before checking your email or Instagram. Also don't have your phone/iPad/laptop in hand just before you go to sleep. If you're like me and use the alarm on your phone, set it before you even enter your bedroom. Put all your settings the way you want them (I listen to white noise while I sleep, the ocean and rain) before you even go in your room and then don't touch your phone until after you've fully gotten up in the morning. You will sleep better and you'll be more inclined to get up after a restful nights' sleep.

I like to journal before I sleep. A simple prompt I try to do every night is: "Today I'm proud of myself for....", "Today I'm thankful for....", and "Today I could have...." A simple reflection of your day, with a physical pen and paper journal, is a wonderful way to wind down. I also keep a separate journal for when I have more to say or a problem to solve. Working out your problems and reflecting over your day, the good and bad, is a great way to rest better and, in turn, wake up happier! (1 rule if you're going to do the journal prompts, always say at least one thing for each, even if you can't find something you're proud of that day find one tiny thing)

Plan everything the night before. Leave yourself as much time as possible to sleep in the morning by packing everything, lunch, school bag, workout bag etc. at night before you sleep. This routine of putting everything to rights will calm you + you get to sleep more!

Those are my tips on how to be an early riser! Now I want to hear from you! Are you a night owl or an early riser? What makes getting up in the morning easier for you?

xx

Post a Comment