SOCIAL MEDIA

March 7, 2016

Tips and Tricks to Battling Bed Head

We've all had those mornings. You wake up, tired and already one-too-many alarm 'snoozes' to take a shower. Your hair is not just unruly, it's defying gravity, seems to have a mind of itself, and absolutely, positively cannot be seen in public! Fear not! Being a high schooler that prizes sleep like gold, I've been here many times before so I'm going to share my best tips on how to battle bed head.

Take a 'flash shower' - A practice I use on a regular basis is something I call a 'flash shower'. When nothing else will do for my hair, I turn the shower on (this works especially well when you have a detachable shower head attachment), bend over, and give my hair a thorough washing. No shampoo, conditioner, or nakedness required! Make sure your entire head is thoroughly wet, throw it up in a towel, and be warned when you take it down! Your hair will look absolutely crazy but with some spritz' of a spray like It's A 10 (my go-to for anything hair related) and a thorough brushing it will look at least mildly manageable. Throw your hair up in a ponytail or tie half of it back and go!
Embrace your inner ballerina - By this I mean the ballerina bun, of course! Never underestimate the power of tying your hair up into that chic messy bun look that is really in vogue right now....who cares if the faux messy is real mess in your case--nobody can tell the difference!
Distraction is key - One of my personal favorite tricks is to spray my roots (all oily and simultaneously dry and brittle after a good nights' sleep) with a healthy dose of dry shampoo. Dry shampoo is simultaneously a life saver and a danger. It saves a lot of time and offers the ability to transform bed head, yes, but it also is not good for your hair and can cause it to dry out significantly so I really don't recommend using it on a regular basis. After spritzing my roots (with the dry shampoo I've used for absolute ages--Bed Head's Oh Bee Hive) I'll physically run my fingers through the mess from roots until tip--this makes it easier for my brush to get through the tangles. Next is a three-step process:
  1. Gather all of your hair at the lower base of your head in the back--all except one face-framing strand on either side of your face. Tie the rest of your hair into a bun.
  2. Find an accessory: a headband is my favorite go-to at the moment, a gold leaf headband from Forever 21 to be precise. (Similar here) Place this in your hair right around the beginning of the part of your hair.
  3. Take the strand you left loose and pin this back underneath your bun (I suggest using a bobby pin just behind your ear so the hair doesn't move and then another one or two pins under the bun to keep the strand in place) This just makes the headband look more like a finished part of your 'do instead of just an add-on meant to distract. Spray your bun and strand with a healthy dose of hairspray (I recommend non-aerosol hairspray for longevity purposes, also it usually doesn't look as stiff--you'll know it's non-aerosol because it comes with a pump handle instead of the can with a button)
Of course, if all else fails there is one tried and true method that has worked for decades.
Top off your messy locks with a fedorable hat! Always works, it's simple, and keeps your face from getting sunburnt. Always a plus.

What are your favorite tips to battling bedhead? Let me know in the comments below!

xx

Post a Comment